Match Centre - September 1, 2018 - 2:30 pm

Conference League 2 

Banbridge RFCBanbridge RFC 2nds XV
Larne RFC

@ Rifle Park

Match Details

BANN SECONDS   43      LARNE  24

Banbridge Seconds continued their winning start to the season with a resounding six try win over Larne. The seasiders had travelled to Rifle Park with confidence high after besting Malone Seconds 49-7 the previous week but they had no answer to Bann’s powerful second half display.

The visitors took an early lead when Bann failed to secure the loose ball after having a kick charged down. Larne gathered possession and spread play wide for their left winger to score an unconverted try.

Before long Bann were on level terms when Alex Shannon touched down. Richie Graham made the initial inroads into the Larne 22 before Simon Lloyd made a half break. He off loaded to skipper Paul Ross who drew the last defender to put Shannon clear.

Midway through the first half Bann went ahead. A series of sustained attacks saw Larne struggling to hold out, and, with the referee signalling penalty advantage, Jason Gribbon put in a perfectly weighted chip for Lloyd to gather and score under the posts. Macauley Little added the conversion.

Larne dominated the remainder of the half without really threatening the Bann line. But they did land three penalties to edge into a 14-12 lead at the break. An early second half try extended their advantage briefly before they were blown away as Bann scored four converted tries in just 20 minutes.

First, a Bann attack was stopped just short and when a Larne hand pulled the ball back over their own line, scrum half Gribbon reacted quickest to touch down.

Dale Carson was next on the scoresheet finishing off a flowing team try. Then Lloyd got his second after good work from Little gave him an unchallenged run in to the line from halfway.

Johnny McCreery completed the rout with a bulldozing run over several would-be tacklers from 15 metres out. Little added all four conversions and a second half penalty for a fine afternoon off the tee.

Larne claimed a late consolation try but Bann were comfortable winners as they continue to build well towards this Saturday’s Junior Cup clash away to Limavady.

Lloyd was the pick of the backs and hopefully the New Zealander will be available for one final game before returning home.

Man of the match was Richie Graham whose strong ball carrying was a constant threat. Unfortunately in the closing stages he suffered a broken ankle in a tackle and will be out for the rest of the season. All at the club wish him a full recovery.